Stickies...just typing that word makes my mouth water!!:) This is a recipe that has been in our family for years. They are officially called "Memaw's Stickies" because the recipe was passed down from my great-grandmother, Memaw, to my grandmother, Grandmama, to my mom. Growing up, my mom used to make us stickies all of the time and we LOVED it!!:) Meredith has continued to make them through the years, and I just started making them myself about a month ago. I always thought they would be too hard for me to make, so I never tried, but now I am addicted...and so is Matt!!:) He LOVES stickies!!:) They are really very easy to make and you only use ingredients that you most likely have in your kitchen all the time. The one negative is that they have crisco in them...yuck...I hate crisco, but I am willing to look the other way for a good stickie or biscuit anyday...Plus, Memaw ate them and she lived until she was 93!!:) So here's the recipe:
Make biscuit dough with self rising flour (approximately 2 cups). Add shortening (solid crisco...approximately 1/2 cup). Cut shortening into flour and make a well in the middle. Add milk a little at a time stirring from middle in circular motion until all flour comes loose from sides and makes a ball. Roll out on floured counter to 1/4 inch thickness. Pat butter all over and sprinkle a generous amount of sugar. Roll up in a jelly roll fashion and slice into pinwheels. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees for approximately 10 minutes or until light brown on top and bottom.
Make biscuit dough with self rising flour (approximately 2 cups). Add shortening (solid crisco...approximately 1/2 cup). Cut shortening into flour and make a well in the middle. Add milk a little at a time stirring from middle in circular motion until all flour comes loose from sides and makes a ball. Roll out on floured counter to 1/4 inch thickness. Pat butter all over and sprinkle a generous amount of sugar. Roll up in a jelly roll fashion and slice into pinwheels. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees for approximately 10 minutes or until light brown on top and bottom.
ball of dough 
pats of butter and generous sprinkling of sugar
"jelly roll"
stickies cut into pinwheels and in the oven
STICKIES :)
4 comments:
Okay... I should have never read your blog today. I am counting down the time until I get myself in the kitchen and make stickies tonight instead of biscuits. Yummy! Thanks for sharing!!!
-Tosha
what is the deal, erin? two food postings in a row?
looks yummy!
Great - it's early on a Sunday morning, Christopher is in the bed and leaving for Anderson this afternoon, and now I want a stickie. Hmmm, I think I'll make them for him for breakfast. :)
Post a Comment