Saturday, October 18, 2008

Happy 5 months, Gretta :)

Today is Gretta Carolyn Drago's 5 month birthday. Five months ago today on May 19, 2008 (it was actually on a Monday AND it is Gretta's Uncle Chris' birthday, too) I went into the hospital at 8:30 am for a scheduled c-section. I had a c-section with Marlee and was hoping to have a vbac with Gretta, but God had other plans. My doctor graciously allowed me to go 9 days after my due date, but Gretta was not interested in coming into this world on her own, so I ended up having another c-section. Although, I was disappointed that it didn't work out the way I wanted it to, it was another opportunity for God to remind me of His sovereignty. It is amazing how He gives us good gifts such as contentment...since the surgery I have been so thankful for everything to do with Gretta's birth. I am also thankful that I have great friends who had natural births I could vicariously experience!!:) The Girl Talk blog has been very helpful for me on many occasions, and here is an excerpt from an entry that spoke to this exact situation:

The Lord had other plans and I couldn’t be more grateful for His divine wisdom. He showed me, once again, that my strength and ability are found only in Him. Second Corinthians 12:9 tells me, “…My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness, therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” I am weak. Each day is a new opportunity for me to humble myself before the Lord, acknowledge my inability, and receive the strength that only He can give. As I learn to “boast” in my human weakness, the Lord has promised to fill me with His power.
“We are going to have to do a C-section.” The Lord had more plans behind these words than just the safe delivery of my little Caly [Gretta]. He had work to do in Mommy and He’s not finished…

I am very thankful that Gretta was born safely at AnMed Hospital in Anderson, SC. God is GOOD!!:) I remember being VERY nervous going back to the operating room, but once I was in there, I was quite calm. Everyone was SOOOO nice. I really loved them all. We were just "shooting the breeze" while I was having the spinal done and I pretty much talked the whole time they were doing the surgery. It was a little hairy for the few minutes they were actually trying to remove Gretta...they did not anticipate her being as big as she was, so everyone got really quiet for a few minutes as they were pulling on her. They ended up having to make my scar a little wider than the one for Marlee just to get "Gretta the Great" out. Even during that, I was quite comfortable and still calm. I AM SO THANKFUL TO GOD FOR SUCH A WONDERFUL OPERATION!!! It could not have gone any more smoothly. I did not have ANY of the issues you can sometimes have during c-section (i.e. displaced pain, problems breathing, etc.). It really was a fantastic experience...now, that might have something to do with the "drugs" they were giving me...that was a GREAT feeling!!!:) I have said it once, and I'll say it again...I'm glad I never did drugs, because I would certainly be an addict...what a feeling!!!:) I know that sounds a little crazy, but I'm just being honest. I just remember telling the nurse how good I felt. Gretta was born at 1:32 pm weighing 9 lbs., 10 oz, and 21 inches long. She has been such a blessing to us. I am so thankful that God, in His kindness, has given us such a sweet and content baby. She just ooozes sweetness!!!:) I know, I am a little partial!!:) The pictures I have posted were taken by our great friend, Molly Flanagan, at the hospital. I am so thankful to have such a great friend who happens to be a great photographer, too!!:) These are some of my favorite...






"For you formed my inward parts;you knitted me together in my mother's womb."

(Psalm 139:13)

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I enjoyed reading this post, Erin. Thanks!:)