For those of you who don't know, because this has happened since college, I am very interested in health and nutrition. I don't necessarily eat/live that way, but I do have an awareness of healthy eating that motivates me to do a lot of the cooking I do at home. I also try to balance that type of eating with a fixed grocery budget, so it doesn't always work out the way I would like, but I do what I can with what I have!!:) One thing I do have that I LOVE is our juicer!!!:) I have been juicing (off and on) since 2005. I started with the Juiceman (you can get it at Target), and thanks to my mom, I have moved up to the Champion (seen below)!! I find it quite daunting to get my full servings of fruits and vegetables everyday, especially during the winter, which is another reason I love to juice!!:) Supposedly juice is more easily absorbed into your bloodstream, so you get more of the nutrients. You have to drink it within 20 minutes of juicing, though, because somehow those nutrients will begin to evaporate if they are left sitting out!! The only bad thing about juicing is that the fiber is removed as the juice separates from the "pulp"!! To help with that, I like to add some flaxseed to my juice...Matt, not so much...he just does without the fiber. Matt and I juice about 3 to 5 times a week, and Matt likes me to have it for him when he gets in from a run!! It really tastes delicious...not at all what you would think, right? It takes me about 10 minutes to "prepare" the fruit and vegetables...I try to do that during a "slow" part of my day, and then I wait and "juice" it until we're ready. If you are interested, you should check out the juiceman...you can get them at Target or Wal-Mart and they are fairly inexpensive. I also buy a 25-lb. bag ($15) of organic juicing carrots that lasts us quite a while. Our juice includes, carrots, cabbage, oranges, apples, lemons, lime, tomatoes, and whatever else I can find sitting around. It's great for turning "too old to eat" fruits and vegetables into something worth ingesting, rather than throwing them away. The only things you cannot juice are bananas and avocados!! Can you tell I get excited about it?
The CHAMPION...the glass container catches the juice and the bowl catches the pulp

The fruits/vegetables look a lot more vibrant during the spring/summer, but this will cheer you up on a cold winter's day
"juicey":)
No comments:
Post a Comment