I have a new addiction...AUDIOBOOKS!!:) When I was asking a good friend (a.k.a. Robin Moseley)at church how she teaches her children to sit quietly and listen, she said one word that changed our daily routine forever...audiobooks!!:) I am so thankful that God ordered our conversation in such a way that would lead to this great discovery. Our day is very scheduled...we go from Bible time (also the idea of this same friend), to Bath time, to Blanket time, to Room time, etc., etc. I have absolutely loved having a daily routine, but I have also felt like there is something missing, which led me to ask Robin for some suggestions. Blanket Time used to involve Marlee sitting on a blanket for 30 minutes, playing with one toy. The only real rule was that she could not leave the blanket. Now, Blanket Time is much more meaningful because of two things 1)quiet 2)audiobooks. Now, Marlee is required to sit on the blanket and she is NOT allowed to talk or make any noises. That is right...I am expecting my 2 1/2 year old to sit on a blanket for 30 minutes and not make a peep!! I must admit, I was a little nervous about how it was going to go the first day I did it, but much to my surprise, it went GREAT!!!:) Those of you who know Marlee, know that "quiet" is not in her vocabulary...well, it is now!! If she has to ask to go potty or has some other urgent request, she even whispers it...who knew she could whisper!!:) I don't know why requiring Marlee to be quiet was such a foreign concept to me, but I am so thankful God revealed this to us, so we can begin teaching Marlee what it means to be quiet, attentive, and respectful. Part 2 of Blanket Time(and the reason she is not allowed to talk) is LISTENING. For 30 minutes, she listens to an audiobook of some sort. Robin also gave me lots of great ideas for fantastic audiobooks you can find all over the internet, including on iTunes!!:) We have started with Adventures in Odyssey (I loved these growing up), but I have also downloaded some others that we will be moving onto soon. Another great idea is to just listen to the Bible. I get very excited thinking about Marlee hearing the word of God over and over so that it becomes very important and natural to her. Just in case there is someone out there who is interested in this, I am going to post some links to some great sites where you can find audiobooks below. I hope you enjoy!!:) P.S. Thank-you sooooooooooooo much, Robin!!:)
Here is a list of audiobooks you can find in your iTunes store:Adventures in Odyssey (a variety of titles)
the Bible
Your Story Hour (great Bible stories)
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (Andrew Peterson)Ligonier Ministries (R.C. Sproul):
https://store.ligonier.org/products.asp?keyword=king+without+a+shadow&whichpage=1
Uncle Rick Audio Series:
https://www.thelearningparent.com/default.asp
Vision Forum (homeschool resources):
http://www.visionforum.com/
Audible Kids (thanks Molly):
http://kids.audible.com/adkd/site/k/enSearch/searchResults.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1839888965.1233606784@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadeggidkifecefecekjdffidfml.0&N=2117+2081&Ns=P_Price%7c0
This is a GREAT Odyssey series you can't find on iTunes:
http://family.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=974890&event=78925SBF406978925
1 comment:
Erin, it sounds like you are doing such a wonderful job with Marlee!!! Its soooo wonderful to see a family that is teaching their children to respect and obey adults and also to respect the church as God's house. Also, by teaching her at such an early age to sit quietly and listen, you won't have as much trouble introducing her to the idea of school! You're such a wonderful mom! Marlee & Gretta are very blessed to have you!
Post a Comment